THE SOMERVILLE BOARD OF EDUCATION
SEEKS CANDIDATE FOR BOARD MEMBER VACANCY
The Somerville Board of Education has announced its
intention to appoint a resident of Somerville to a vacant position on the Board
of Education. Any Somerville resident interested in applying for the position
should send a letter expressing interest and include a resume of background
experiences. The letter and resume should be addressed to Mr. Bryan P. Boyce,
Board Secretary, Somerville Board of Education, 51 West Cliff Street,
Somerville, New Jersey 08876 by noon on January 13, 2017 and marked “Board Member Vacancy” on the envelope.
To become a school
board member in New Jersey, you must
Be able to read and write
Hold U.S. citizenship and one year’s residency
in the school district
Be registered to vote in the district
Have no interest in any contract with, or claim
against, the board
Not hold office as mayor or member of the
municipal governing body or, in the case of county school district, the county
Not simultaneously hold two elective offices
Not be disqualified from membership for the
conviction of certain crimes. (Within 30 days of election or appointment to the
board, a member must undergo a criminal history background investigation
through the Department of Education.)
This position will be effective until the Organization
Meeting in January 2018.
The Board of Education will review all applications
submitted and interview legally qualified candidates at the public meeting on January
17, 2017. Candidates will be advised of the interview schedule. Any questions should
be directed to Mr. Bryan P. Boyce at email@example.com or
1. We believe that children learn best in a challenging, motivating, safe, secure, nurturing, encouraging, and respectful environment that fosters a love of lifelong learning.
2. We believe in providing learning opportunities to meet the diverse needs of each individual child.
3. We believe that the mosaic of every child includes the fine arts, STEAM, and extracurricular activities.
4. We believe that professional development is essential to the fabric of the teaching profession allowing teachers to build on current practices and constantly improve instruction.
5. We believe in a collaborative approach to learning and engagement that includes students, district employees, parents, community members, and community partnerships.
Somerville Public Schools provide the highest quality education through an environment that promotes individual excellence.
Strategic Themes were established at the August 29, 2015 Board of Education Summer Workshop in an effort to identify areas of focus for district's five-year strategic plan (VISION2020) which takes into account the Mission Statement and Core Beliefs. The Board developed these themes and year 1 targets after a careful review of all data and information collected through the community-wide needs assessment survey. Ongoing input and feedback is welcomed via email and/or tweeting with the hashtag #Ville2020.