1. We believe that children learn best in a challenging, motivating, safe, secure, nurturing, encouraging, and respectful environment that fosters a love of lifelong learning.
2. We believe in providing learning opportunities to meet the diverse needs of each individual child.
3. We believe that the mosaic of every child includes the fine arts, STEAM, and extracurricular activities.
4. We believe that professional development is essential to the fabric of the teaching profession allowing teachers to build on current practices and constantly improve instruction.
5. We believe in a collaborative approach to learning and engagement that includes students, district employees, parents, community members, and community partnerships.
Somerville Public Schools provide the highest quality education through an environment that promotes individual excellence.
Strategic Themes were established at the August 29, 2015 Board of Education Summer Workshop in an effort to identify areas of focus for district's five-year strategic plan (VISION2020) which takes into account the Mission Statement and Core Beliefs. The Board developed these themes and year 1 targets after a careful review of all data and information collected through the community-wide needs assessment survey. Ongoing input and feedback is welcomed via email and/or tweeting with the hastag #Ville2020.