In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Somerville Public School district has the duty to provide Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) to each qualified student with a disability and to prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability in its programs and activities. Further, the Somerville Public School district provides you, as the parent or guardian, with the following procedural safeguards in relation to your child.
- You have the right to receive a copy of this notice upon the district's identification, evaluation, refusal to provide an evaluation, educational placement, denial of educational placement, and any significant change in said placement of your child.
- You have the right to an evaluation of your child if the district has reason to believe that your child has a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits learning or some other major life activity:
a) before the initial placement.
b) before any subsequent significant change in placement.
- You have the right to an opportunity to examine all relevant records for your child.
- You have the right to an impartial hearing, with participation by you and representation by counsel, concerning the identification, evaluation, or educational placement of your child.
- You have the right to appeal the final decision of the impartial hearing officer to a court of competent jurisdiction.