SOMERVILLE HIGH SCHOOL PHYSICAL EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Somerville High School physical education department will utilize the following criteria to evaluate student understanding and progress in content.
- 80% of the student’s grade will be based on acceptable levels of student engagement and skill development.
- 20% of the student’s grade will be based on Gameplay strategies and Sportsmanship of the sport.
Gameplay Strategies and Sportsmanship: This will be determined through teacher observation, along with the student’s ability to apply rules, game strategies and team concepts. Attitudes displayed in the area of sportsmanship, leadership, cooperation, safety, and performance will be evaluated on a daily basis throughout each activity. Students will be expected to dress in clothes that are appropriate for physical activity.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION ATTIRE INCLUDES: Sweatpants, Yoga Pants, Gym Shorts, T-Shirts and Sweatshirts are considered acceptable PE attire. A student’s ability to actively perform the required skills of the assigned activity will be impacted by the following and therefore are considered Inappropriate PE attire and strictly prohibited: Dresses, Skirts, Jeans, Sweaters, and Dress Slacks are NOT acceptable attire for PE and the student will not be permitted to participate.
Additionally, appropriate footwear must be worn to maintain the integrity of the activity and ensure student safety. Therefore, the following is a requirement with respect to all footwear:
PROPER FOOT ATTIRE: A closed toe, secured, flat shoe, with a rubber sole and no heel
Grading: The following acronyms will be used by the Physical Education Department to denote a student’s performance:
- A = Absent from school or class
- Students will be given 2 FREE ABSENCES from Physical Education over the course of the marking period. A student activity (SA) is considered an absence.
- A student has the ability to make up an absence (after their 2 free) to restore credit to their grade for up to two previous weeks. Make-up for absences beyond this are only administered at the discretion of the administration and/or the physical education instructor.
- EA = Excused Absence: – Excused from the class period
- Passes from administrative offices or dismissal for athletic teams are NOT required to be made up – student is graded as if he/she has met the daily requirement.
- SA = Student Activity = (School Sanctioned Event) School approved class trips, college visitations, non-athletic excused lists
- MU – One Day medical excuse. The nurse will issue a MU (Make-Up) slip that the student will give to the PE Teacher
- U/0 = Unprepared for class/Did Not participate
- LOE = Lack of engagement
- Medical: M = Medical absence from school or class
- Students that miss less than 20 days of a marking period with a physician’s note will be required to physically make up ½ of the days medically excused in order to receive a numerical grade for the marking period.
- Students who miss physical education class in excess of 20 days will receive a final marking period grade of (P) Pass / (F) Fail for those that return after 15 days of missed class, or (ME) which is reflective of medically exempt and excluded from the overall GPA if the exemption continues for the duration of the marking period.
- OSS/ISS: Suspension- Students are required to make up missed classes (after 2 absences).
Physical Education Make-Up Policy
ALL Absences (after 2) NOT made up will result in a 5-Point deduction from the category of Participation/Preparation and Skill Development
- A student cannot make up more than 2 Physical Education classes in any given day.
- Physical Education classes may be made up during the school day if the student has a study hall and/or lunch. The student should obtain a gym make-up slip from his/her activity teacher, sign out of study hall or lunch, report to the gymnasium and take class. The make-up teacher will sign and return the make-up slip to the student at the end of class. It is the student’s responsibility to return the signed makeup slip to his/her teacher to receive credit for the class.
- If a student does not have lunch or a study hall, arrangements can be made with a Physical Education Teacher before or after school during individual teacher office hour days. (schedule is posted on PE Office doors)
- Physical education make-ups should not occur for any day that occurred more than two weeks prior.
Structured Option II:
Eligibility: ALL Juniors & Seniors. Students that are members of school sanctioned, NJSIAA athletic offerings, the marching band, or color guard will have the opportunity to meet the physical education requirements through alternative methods of activity and through the required instructional sessions throughout the marking period. Structured option II status is not offered during required health education marking periods.
*Students that opt for the alternative will agree that their physical education grade for the assigned marking period will be excluded from their GPA.
- Junior & Senior athletes, marching band, and color guard members can complete the required Option II paperwork on Family ID. Once completed, students will be placed into a study hall during their assigned physical education period.
- At the conclusion of the season, the student will return to their normally scheduled physical education period
- Fall Athletes – Marking Period 1
- Winter Athletes – Marking periods 2 and 3 – one of which will be a required health section
- Spring Athletes- Marking period 4
- Athletes, band and color guard members that are in season during their assigned health period will not be excluded from the requirement
Locker Room: Students will be assigned a locker for the year. All student belongings are to be placed in their locker and secured (with a lock) prior to entering the gymnasium each day. The PE Staff is not responsible for items not secured.
- Each student is responsible to obtain their own lock. If you are unable to obtain your own lock please see Mr. Hade to make accomodations.
- All valuables should be secured at all times
- Lockers are NOT to be shared
- Cell Phones are not permitted during class
Other Considerations to the grading policy:
Physical education class will be completed each marking period and course credit will be either earned or denied at the completion of the marking period. Each marking period of enrollment will result in 1.25 credits toward the requirement of 3.75.
Option II students will receive a P/F for the marking period.
Student Engagement & Skill
Gameplay Strategies and Sportsmanship:
Refusal to participate*
Inability to demonstrate strategies and sportsmanship*
Minimal effort of participation, skill, and a disregard for safety
Uncooperative, Disregard for others, Argues, Complains
Partial effort of participation and skill
* If a student chooses to SIT OUT for the class period – the result will be a deduction of 5 points in each grading category
** The student DOES NOT have an opportunity to make-up that gym class.