11th GRADE HEALTH EDUCATION
AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION
The purpose of the American Heart Association program is to help participants recognize and respond appropriately to cardiac, breathing and first aid emergencies. The courses in this program teach skills that participants need to know to give immediate care to a suddenly injured or ill person until more advanced medical personnel arrive and take over.
Criteria for American Heart Association Certification
- Sign up and pay for an American Heart Association Certification Course. This requires a discounted fee of $6.00 for Heartsaver - First Aid – AED Certification (Please make check payable to Somerville Board of Education)
- Score an 84% on the appropriate section(s) of the American Heart Association written Exam(s).
- Participate in all skill sessions and scenarios.
- Demonstrate competency in all required fields.
Nutrition – understand and evaluate information leading to a healthy lifestyle
Drug/Alcohol Education – its effects on the human body.
Organ and Tissue Donation.
DETERMINATION OF HEALTH GRADE:
A student’s grade will be determined through a total points system. Points can be earned through various forms of assessment. Assessment and evaluation may include but is not limited to tests, quizzes, projects, homework, and class participation. Each assessment will be given a predetermined numerical value and evaluated accordingly. At the conclusion of the marking period, a student’s grade will be reflective of total points earned over total points available. It is encouraged for students to maintain an evaluation log of all assessments throughout the marking period. With this, students will have an up-to-date and accurate understanding of their current grade in the course.
You are required to bring your textbook daily.
Have a writing utensil.
Have your notebook/folder in class every day
Be on time for class.
Remain seated until the end of class.
MAKE-UP WORK IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE STUDENT
- Absent from school – see your instructor when you return
Lab Day – see your instructor for information that you missed