Somerville Public Schools provide the highest quality education through an environment that promotes individual excellence.
- We believe that children learn best in a challenging, motivating, safe, secure, nurturing, encouraging, and respectful environment that fosters a love of lifelong learning.
- We believe in providing learning opportunities to meet the diverse needs of each individual child.
- We believe that the mosaic of every child includes the fine arts, STEAM, and extracurricular activities.
- We believe that professional development is essential to the fabric of the teaching profession allowing teachers to build on current practices and constantly improve instruction.
- We believe in a collaborative approach to learning and engagement that includes students, district employees, parents, community members, and community partnerships.
Strategic Themes were established at the August 29, 2015 Board of Education Summer Workshop in an effort to identify areas of focus for the district's five-year strategic plan (#VISION2020) which takes into account the Mission Statement and Core Beliefs. The Board developed these themes and year 1 targets after a careful review of all data and information collected through the community-wide needs assessment survey. Subsequent annual goals are established each year at the Board of Education Summer Workshop and approved by Board resolution (current year was approved at the 9/6/16 BOE meeting). Ongoing input and feedback is welcomed via email and/or tweeting with the hashtag #Ville2020.
VISION2020 Strategic Themes and Annual Goals
1. Building Cultural Competence
Year 1 Goal (2015-2016): Mobilize a team of staff members for trauma-sensitive training for the 2015-2016 school year.
Year 2 Goal (2016-2017): To implement the recommendations of the Trauma Sensitive Task Force.
2. Preparing for College and Career
Year 1 Goal (2015-2016): Implement the M.A.P.S. program (a non-traditional high school program with no grade levels, long uninterrupted blocks of learning, rolling graduation, blended learning, and competency based education).
Year 2 Goal (2016-2017): To administer a survey to SHS graduates, analyze trends/patterns in college/career preparedness, and present findings to the Board of Education (Presented at the 3/21/17 BOE Meeting)
3. Growing Professional Development Opportunities
Year 1 Goal (2015-2016): Launch a robust 3DPD, online professional development "best practice" repository.
Year 2 Goal (2016-2017): To provide a six-part professional development series to parents and community members in the area of social and emotional development.
Status: ONGOING - 4 Sessions (#1 - Coach Randy Nathan: Project NextGen; #2 - Harassment, Intimidation and Bulling: How the Law Works and What Parents Should Look For; #3 - Mental Health and Resiliency: Building Skills to Help Students Cope Socially, Behaviorally, and Emotionally; and #4 - The Blunt Truth: The Effects of Marijuana on the Teen Brain)