Return to Headlines

SHS: Frequently Asked Questions

SHS: Frequently Asked Questions 


Who do I contact if my child is going to be absent?  

If your child is absent from school for any reason, please call the Attendance Office at 908-243-1547 by 8:15 am to report the absence. You may leave a voicemail. Clearly state the students name, grade, your relationship, and the reason for the absence.


What do I do if my child will be tardy to school? 

Students tardy to school must report to the Attendance Office to sign in and receive a late pass. The student needs a parent/guardian note indicating the reason for being late and his/her student ID card. Students MAY NOT WRITE OR SIGN THEIR OWN NOTES. Students will not be admitted to school after 10:30 am without parent/guardian contact and/or approval from a school administrator.


Who do I notify if my child requires an early dismissal? 

All students must be signed out in the Main Office.  Parents/Guardians must send in a note requesting permission for the student to be released early from school.  Students can bring their note to the Main Office at the beginning of the day of dismissal. The note should state the student’s name, time of dismissal, who is picking them up, and the reason for dismissal.  A driver’s license or form of ID is required for anyone picking up a student. If you have any questions regarding early dismissal, contact Mrs. Teeling, or Mrs. Barrows,


What if my child forgets an item at home? 

Forgotten items can be dropped off at the Main Office door. It is the student’s responsibility to retrieve any items dropped off for them. The staff is NOT responsible for notifying your child OR for keeping track of any items dropped off, this includes lunch money.  


Where do I find the school calendar? 

An electronic copy of the school calendar is posted on the high school home page - Upcoming Events. The 2020-2021 Calendar-at-a-Glance can be found here


Where can I view announcements?  

School announcements can be found on the high school home page - Daily Bulletin


Who do I call about transportation questions & issues?  

For Branchburg Transportation, you would contact the Supervisor of Transportation, Mr. Robert Cline at 908-725-2895.  For Somerville Transportation, you would contact the Director of Facilities/Transportation, Mr. Jimmy Gabriel at 908-218-4118.  


Where can I get information about Somerset County Vocational & Technical School?   

SCVTHS calendar and information can be found at their website.  SCVTHS transportation FAQ can be reviewed here




I recently moved, how do I change my address?  

If you are a Branchburg resident, please contact Mrs. Toni Gooding at 908-722-3335 Ext. 4710 or 

If you are a Somerville resident, please complete the Somerville Public Schools Change of Address form and return it to the SHS Main Office, Attention Mrs. Barrows. 


Where do I view my child’s schedule, grades, and attendance? 

Somerville Public Schools use the student information system Realtime for grades, schedules, and attendance.  Information can be viewed by accessing the Parent Portal


Where do I get my Realtime Parent Portal access? 

To get access or if you have trouble with your username and password, email Mrs. Garvey, Guidance Office Secretary, at 


Who do I contact if I have questions about my child’s lunch account? 

Please contact the Mashio’s Food Service, Lyn Mahony at 908-243-1565  or  Information about MySchoolBucks, breakfast & lunch menus, and nutrition can be found here


How do I request a Lunch Funds Transfer/Refund? 

Email the Mashio’s Food Service Cafeteria Manager, Mrs. Lyn Mahony,, to request a transfer of funds to a sibling’s account or refund. 


Where can I find the free/reduced meal application?  

Starting with the 2020/2021 school year, you will now be able to complete the Free/Reduced meal application online via the Parent Portal.  Please log into your portal and click on “meal application” to complete the form.

Please note you only need to complete ONE application per family.  This means that if you have more than one student enrolled with Somerville, you only need to complete ONE application.

If you require a paper application, you can download one from our district website at, or you can request one from the main office. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Michelle Treanor at 908-218-4104.


Who is the school nurse?  

Our school nurse is Miss Christine Guerriero.  If your child has a medical issue or are looking for a health form, please contact Miss Guerriero at 908-243-1544 or  


Where can my child get a replacement ID Card? 

Students can have their lost ID cards replaced with Mrs. Gagliardi in the Nurse’s Office during school hours for a $5.00 charge. 


Is there a lost and found? 

The lost and found is located in the Student Affairs/Athletics Office on the 2nd Floor.  Lost items can be reported to Dr. Zurawiecki, Supervisor of Student Activities. 

Where can my child report a locker issue? 

Locker issues can be reported to Mrs. Gagliardi in the Nurse’s Office.


Where and how do I register my child for a sport?  

Somerville's athletic programs provide our student-athletes with the opportunity to compete in a variety of athletic offerings. The steps to register for a sport and to review athletic offerings can be found on the athletics home page.   


My child plays a sport, where are the practice and game schedules posted? 

Athletic schedules can be found on rSchool Sports. Need help - check out this tutorial!  If you need additional support, please contact the Athletic Director, Mr. Tim Davis at


Who are the contacts for the student government?

  • SHS Student Council  - Mr. Michael Dougherty,, & Ms. Hannah Hugger,
  • Junior Class Advisor - Ms. Regina Rossi,


What clubs are offered at SHS?  

For a full listing of club offerings, click here.


Where can I find information about the PTO?  

Stay update to date with PTO events, information, and spiritwear by following them on Facebook (Somerville NJ High School PTO) and their website


What is the fax number?

Guidance & Counseling Services 908-218-8844

Main Office, Nurse, Athletics 908-707-0971

Special Services Office (BOE Office) 908-218-0085


What forms of ID are acceptable when visiting the school?  

Somerville High School welcomes parents and other community members into our schools for special events, meetings, and other occasions. However, keeping our students and staff safe while at school is something we take very seriously.   If you'd like to enter the building you must register by presenting a valid, government-issued ID to the school's office staff. Registration takes a few minutes the first time because it requires an office staff member to complete the process. Please be patient and understand that it is for the safety and well-being of our students and staff.  It will be quicker during subsequent visits. 


Is tutoring available?  

Tutoring Schedule coming soon! 


I am new to the district,  how do register my child(ren)? 

Registration for Somerville Public School District is by appointment only.  Registration packages must be complete.  Please refer to the checklists for paperwork/documents necessary for enrolling your child into the Somerville School District.  Registration packet and checklist for SHS can be found here.  


I moved out of the district, how do I transfer my child(ren)’s academic and health records?  

A parent/guardian is required to complete and sign the Transfer Verification Document and Release of Records. Student will need to return all school issued items, chromebook, power cord, and pay any school fines prior to records being released to the new school. Please contact Mrs. Barrows at 908-243-1541 or 


Who can help my child with his/her Chromebook?  

The Chromezone is located in the Media Center on the 2nd Floor. Please use our ticketing system to report broken/damaged devices and to request assistance with District technology resources.


If my child is experiencing an issue such as social interaction problems, a crisis or family situations (ex. divorce, death, changes in the family)? 

You should contact your child's guidance counselor.


Who do I contact if I wish to book a room for my organization?  

Requisition for Use of School Facilities form can be picked up in the Main Office.  If you have a facilities related question or concern, you would contact the Director of Facilities/Transportation, Mr. Jimmy Gabriel at 908-218-4118.